daniellclausen

The Lexical Funk!

Daniel has wanted to be a writer ever since he was in elementary school.He has published stories and articles in such magazines as Slipstream, Black Petals, Spindrift, Zygote in my Coffee, and Leading Edge Science Fiction. He has written four books: The Sage and the Scarecrow (a novel), the Lexical Funk (a short story collection), Reejecttion (short story/ essay collection), and The Ghosts of Nagasaki (a novel).

Descending (Novel Excerpt)

By Daniel Clausen The Ghosts of Nagasaki [Paperback] - Daniel Clausen

On the surface, I am an unremarkable thing: a businessman going on a business trip.

Without ceremony, I take a plane bound from Tokyo to Hokkaido. I line up to get my ticket. I wait patiently to board the plane, my copy of the Nikkei Shimbun in hand. I sit on the plane in my tight coal-black suit, no tie, one button down, with my laptop. My face is the silent, serious face of a man working on yet another project of some importance for his company.

If anyone were to ask me what I was doing, I would dutifully respond that I was being sent to Hokkaido to take one of many steps necessary to earn revenues for company stockholders. If I was to line up the sequence of events in a row—all the events leading up to this flight and my existence there in the third row of the business class section, aisle seat— nobody would give them a second  thought.

The plane lifts off, the plane climbs higher, and yet I find myself descending.